11.02.2008

2008 Dallas Running Club Half Marathon

RUN 13.1 MILES

This was my first time competing in a run-only event. Running was something I started doing four years ago to stay in shape during the off season when I rowed at Boston College. It was not before long that I started really enjoying running. Now that I am heavily involved in triathlons, running is a critical component of my year round training. Below is the course map.RUN: 13.1 miles
When I first signed up for the DRC Half Marathon, I was aiming for a completion time of 1:30. However, I never fully prepared myself for this competition, as I would have liked. My running was not where it needed to be. Until this competition, I had not run more than 8 miles at once in the past eleven months. And of course, a half marathon is 13.1 miles. Thus, it was a bit of a stretch. On top of that, I became ill three days ago. The illness persisted throughout my competition. My body was not up for the task, but my spirit most definitely was, so I pushed myself to compete. I knew 1:30 would be difficult to accomplish had I prepared effectively, but my illness made such a feat all the more difficult.

SUMMARY:
Despite how I felt, I managed to finish in just over 1:38. Considering the factors mentioned above, I felt okay about my performance. However, I will say that I have never felt that poorly after a competition before. My head was dizzy and my motor skills felt uncoordinated. Basically, I just collapsed in the dirt for a while shortly after crossing the finish line. I can honestly say that I emptied the tank and gave it everything I had. This was a good preparatory gauge for the Dallas White Rock Marathon I have next month. Now I have a better idea of what I have to do come December 14th.

No comments:

Post a Comment